Monday, October 27, 2008

Learning...

When the light bulb of learning comes on that's when I know that students as well as myself are learning.
Learning is such a word because it covers so many different things! There are so many different ways to learn, and so many different ways in which learning happens that the word alone covers a large area educationally speaking. Learning for me is something that happens when I find interest in a particular topic and I converse about it, research it, explore it, practice it etc. When I do these things I gain information about my interests and then take what I've learned and I store it away either to use now or for the future.
The things that we learn now will impact how we learn and what we learn in the future. If I already know that cars run by use of gasoline, I will now want or could be able to learn how that gasoline is piped through the car and what happens during the process.
As a teacher I will always be learning new things -every day. Once in the classroom there will be numerous conversations, discussions, etc. that will get me to think about what I know, teach me things that I don't even know, and help me to teach my students in ways that connect to how they think and what they say. The more connected I am in the learning style and thought processes of my students the better and easier it will become for me to design assignments etc. to aid their learning.